Saturday, 17 September 2011

Purse Cake with Faux Strawberry Frosting



Some people refer to this season as late summer or early fall. To my family and I we call it "Birthday Season". As I've mentioned before my family is smack dab in the middle of a three month period when all five of us celebrate our fetes. Yesterday my 'baby girl', Missy Moo, celebrated her 8th birthday with a gaggle of giggly girls at the local bowling alley. Nothing brings back youthful birthday memories like rented shoes and the sound of bowling balls bouncing down the alley!! Right?!?

My little Missy Moo is still a very girly girl (which I adore!) so when I asked her what kind of cake she'd like me to make I wasn't surprised when she asked me to bake her another purse cake. When she was 5, and we had just moved into our current house, I had baked her a cake in the shape of a purse and it must have made an impression if she wanted it again!

Note: I adore purses in all shapes and sizes. Be it a Coach purse, clutch, change purse, sling or a big hulking bag that could carry a small family. I love them all because they are a way to organize my crap beloved things that I like to keep near me on my excursions. With a love so deep as my love for all things purse I suppose me baking a purse cake (or two) was an inevitability.

Making a purse cake isn't hard. Honest! First you start with a cake mix. Yup, I used a cake mix. Call the Baking Police if you will. I have never been able to find a 'from scratch' vanilla cake that comes close to comparing with the moistness and flavour of a vanilla cake mix.

Once you've baked your two 8-inch round vanilla cakes and let them cool, the fun begins! The faux strawberry frosting is a cinch too! As I've stated before our family cannot use Wilton icing tints because they 'may contain' peanuts. This is where Kool-Aid powder comes in handy! So many flavours and it colours the frosting quite nicely too! Beware though ... a little goes a long way!

With this tasty frosting, some candies for decoration you've got yourself a mighty fine purse cake that would make Coach purse maker and a cake baker (or a cake baker holding a Coach purse) jealous! Needless to say, there was not a crumb left after the 8 little darlings got through with the cake!

Purse Cake
From: The Baking Bookworm

Cake
1 white 2-layer cake mix (461g box)
other ingredients needed to bake cake as per cake instructions (ie oil, eggs, water)

Frosting for Filling
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp milk

Faux Strawberry Frosting
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp strawberry Kool-Aid powder
2 tbsp milk

Licorice & candies for decoration (I used Mike & Ikes & Smarties)

Prepare Cake:
Trace the outline of two 8-inch round cake pans on a sheet of parchment paper. Cut out the parchment circles and lay them in the cake pans. Grease parchment and set pans aside. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Allow cakes to cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each cake and remove cakes to a wire rack. Remove parchment paper from cakes. Allow cakes to completely cool.

Prepare filling icing:
In the bowl of your stand mixer (or by hand), mix shortening and butter on medium speed until mixed well. Add sifted icing sugar, one cup at a time, to the shortening mixture and mix on LOW. Add milk. If needed, add a bit more milk to get the consistency that you want. I prefer a thicker, not runny, icing on my cakes.

Build Your Purse Cake
Once your two cakes have cooled completely cut both along the diameter of each cake. I actually used a ruler to make sure my halves were equal (Type A!!) so that my halves were equal and I didn't have a dip in the middle of my purse.



Using a large bread knife, slice off the rounded top of one of the cake halves (this will help the halves fit together better). Using a spatula, spread a large dollop of the filling icing onto flat bottom of one of the cake halves. Stand this cake half on its flat cut edge on a plate or cake plate. Place the cake half that you cut to make flat against the iced cake half. With the remaining cake half, spread a dollop of icing and place it against the middle cake half. If you're a math whiz you'll notice that you have a cake half left over. Eat it along with the extra strawberry icing later on.

Note: Make sure you leave some of this white icing for decorating the purse later on. Voila! You now have the main part of your purse!

Prepare faux strawberry frosting:
You're essentially making the same frosting as the filling but we're doubling the recipe and adding some strawberry flavour. One teaspoon of Kool-Aid powder may not seem like a lot but TRUST ME. A little goes a long way!

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or by hand), mix shortening and butter on medium speed until mixed well. Add icing sugar, one cup at a time, to the shortening mixture and mix on LOW. Add Kool-Aid powder and milk. Add a bit more milk to get the consistency that you want.

Using a large flat icing spatula, spread on the strawberry frosting all over the cake until you get a fairly smooth texture. I used quite a bit to ensure that the candies would stick well. Decorate the sides of your purse with the candies.

Using the handle end of a small spoon, make two holes in the top of the cake where your licorice 'purse handle' will go. Stick the licorice ends into these holes. Using an icing bag (or just a Ziploc baggie with a very small hole cut in one corner), pipe some of the white icing along the edges of the cake or for more decoration.

Note: Frosting and filling inspired by Wilton.com

I've linked this recipe to:
Everyday Mom's Meals "Church Supper" linky party and









Photobucket

5 comments:

Dzoli said...

It might not be hard to make..lets try.It looks so yummy;)

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

How cute & creative!! I would love it if you linked up on my blog party, Makin You Crave Monday, over at MrsHappyHomemaker.com!

Krista said...

This is too too cute. I'm a purse addict, so it's totally perfect! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love your blog. Grabbed your button and adding you to my blog list. Please come back soon.

Everyday Mom's Meals

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I'm so happy about all of the positive comments over Missy Moo's cake! I suppose you can't go wrong with dessert and purses. ;)

Krista & Mrs Happy Homemaker -- thanks so much for letting me link up this recipe on your link parties!

shopannies said...

so very cute

Related Posts with Thumbnails