Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Chicken, Bacon & Black Bean Quesadillas



Last week I posted my Grilled Rosemary Balsamic Chicken Thighs recipe and promised a new, awesome recipe that uses the leftover chicken. Well, here it is!! Leftovers never tasted so good! It's not fancy but man was it deeeelish!

Making this dish with the leftover chicken thighs made this meal very easy to whip together. It was a lot quicker since all I was really doing was reheating the chicken, adding some spice and some veggies. I love getting Brad to BBQ a batch of meat like this chicken which I then use for another meal within the next couple of days. Less energy + less time prepping/cooking = happy me. Don't ya just love math?!?

These quesadillas were a slam dunk! Not only did Brad and I inhale them but Boy 1 ate all of his, Boy 2 took his time (he was a little sceptical in the beginning that a quesadilla which contained more than cheese could taste good) but he ate his quesadillas too! Two down, one to go. Drum roll please. Is it possible that I could make a meal where *gasp!* all three of my kids eat it without any complaints? Is it possible that a meal containing leftovers, onions and bell peppers could satisfy all of my spawn? Weeellll, Missy Moo looked at her cheese, bean and bacon filled quesadilla then looked at me and said "There's more than just cheese in this quesadilla, right?". Yes, baby girl you are correct. She just sighed and ate around the black beans and red peppers. It might not be an energetic, high five, thumbs up but I'll take it!! Score one for Mom!! Can I hear a whoot whoot?!?

Honestly, these were really, really good. I loved the smoky flavour that the bacon gave to the quesadilla, I loved that I was using leftovers and getting my kids to eat some veg at the same time. Plus, topped with my beloved full fat sour cream (is there any other kind?!) I was in heaven! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.

Tip: I'm also thinking that you could toss this chicken, bacon and bean mixture on top of some nacho chips, throw some cheese on it and bake it for a wicked good nacho tray.

1 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
6 cooked chicken thighs (or 2 large, cooked chicken breasts), chopped finely
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
to taste salt & pepper
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped finely
oil for frying
2 cups Cheddar or marble cheese, grated
8-10 large tortillas
Garnish - sour cream and salsa

In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the chicken, chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper and onion. Cook until red pepper and onion are softened. Add black beans and bacon to the chicken mixture. Mix well.

Heat an electric griddle to medium heat. Brush griddle with grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil). Place two tortillas on the griddle. Sprinkle one half of each tortilla with a bit of cheese. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of the meat mixture onto one half of each tortillas and sprinkle with a bit more cheese (this will help keep the toppings from falling all over the place when you flip the tortilla). Fold over the other sides of the tortillas (you'll now have two half quesadillas). Brush tops of folded tortillas with a bit of oil. When bottom of the tortillas is browned, carefully flip over and brown the other side. Serve immediately or place in a warm oven until ready to serve.

NOTE IF YOU'RE USING UNCOOKED CHICKEN - Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon or two of grapeseed oil (or olive oil) and saute the chicken pieces until they're browned. Add chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper and onion. Follow the rest of the instructions above.


5 comments:

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

YUM! This is one of my favorite quesadilla combinations. Absolutely delicious.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks, Mary. :) Bacon does truly make everything taste better, doesn't it? ;)

Erin said...

Great quesadillas! They are such a fun and yummy thing to make!

Bonnie said...

I make all kinds of leftovers into *interesting* quesadillas! As long as I have tortillas and cheese, we're good to go! My family never knows what I'll throw in them, but 99.9% of the time it's a hit. Sucha great, fast supper and cleans out the fridge! :)

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Erin & Bonnie -- I agree that quesadillas are what my Dad likes to refer to as 'fridge purgers'. You go through your fridge, see what leftovers, veg and cheese you have and voila! You could have a different quesadilla every night of the week!! :) Weird how leftovers seem to taste better in between a couple of tortillas and served with a dollop (or two) of sour cream. Huh. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails