Thursday, 26 May 2011

Strawberry & Banana Yogurt Loaf

Over the past few weeks I have entered into the wide and wonderful world of Twitter. It's not something I ever thought I'd do but at the urge of one of my blog followers I gave it a go. So far I've found a lot of great blogs to follow concerning cooking, books and home decor. And, quite frankly, I think it's kind of cool to follow celeb Twitter accounts.

I found this recipe via Twitter on a blog called From the Little Yellow Kitchen. I did tweak it a wee bit but one of the tweaks was due to me not reading the recipe properly. I had mistakenly put the 1/4 cup of white sugar in with the flour mixture. Why did I do that? Probably because Nate Berkus (with his perfect hair and incredible cuteness) was telling me how to accessorize a room properly while I was mixing this loaf up. He likes to chat while I bake. It's how we roll. So, I added another 1/4 cup of white sugar to the butter mixture (where it was supposed to be added) and it came out loverly!! I also added some cinnamon sugar to the top because, quite frankly, cinnamon sugar on top of muffins and quick breads makes the world a better place.

This was also my first time using Greek yogurt. I know what you're thinking! She's never used Greek yogurt before?!? Was that crazy Canuck born under a rock? The simple answer is no (my mom can confirm it). I have heard of the wonders that is Greek yogurt and I can attest to the fact that it is quite yummy. I also love that it gave this loaf a nice tang. I'm looking forward to finding more recipes that use it. Perhaps some appetizers?!?

Back to this tasty loaf ... it's nice and moist and combines the very complimentary flavours of strawberry and banana together. Plus you have the added benefit of using this recipe to whittle down your ripe banana population lurking in your freezer. You know what I'm talking about. Don't we all have dozens of frozen, black bananas in our freezers? No? Just me? I'm actually starting to think that my ripe bananas are procreating in my freezer. Some sub-zero par-tay is happening in amongst my frozen peas and ice packs! How else can I explain how I got 23 bananas in my freezer?!? Yes that's TWENTY-THREE bananas in my kitchen fridge freezer? "Hi. My name is Laurie and I'm a blackened banana hoarder." Me thinks it's time to thin the herd.



Strawberry & Banana Yogurt Loaf
Inspired by: http://www.fromthelittleyellowkitchen.com/2011/05/25/strawberry-banana-yogurt-bread/

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, finely diced
1 tbsp all-purpose flour

Cinnamon Sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom of an 8x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, sift together: flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine and set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer (or large mixing bowl), combine melted butter and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix on medium speed to combine. Add mashed bananas, egg, yogurt and vanilla. Mix until just combined.

Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix slowly (don't overbeat or your bread may not come out as light).

In a small bowl, toss diced strawberries with the 1 tbsp flour (this will help them to not sink to the bottom of your loaf). Fold strawberries gently into the batter. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Mix cinnamon sugar ingredients together (that would be the cinnamon and, you guessed it, the sugar). Sprinkle over the loaf.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

src="http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54488/131/CF107413EEAE3658FA7B3082C92C2ABE.png" style="border: 0 !important; background: transparent;"/>

5 comments:

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

A blackened banana hoarder? That's hilarious! We all have our secrets...mine are plates. I have enough plates that each person in my family could probably have a dozen of them and we'd still have some in the cabinets! It's a sickness... Bread looks delicious.

BakerbyNature said...

Greek yogurt always makes quick breads so moist! This looks like a great breakfast loaf.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Jen, I'm the total opposite! I, sadly, only have 8 dinner plates (not including my wedding china). With 5 of us in the family it means I have to get crafty with plate usage. We're looking for a new set (of 16!). After 14 years of the old set I think I'm due!!

BakerbyNature -- I am a new lover of the Greek yogurt! I usually use sour cream (full fat!!) for my loaves or plain yogurt but I was surprised at how moist and tangy the Greek yogurt made this bread!

jenn said...

LOOKS fantastic!!!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Thanks Jenn. It was really tasty. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails