Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Chicken, Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onion Quesadillas with Avocado Sour Cream


I'm a sucker for a good, 'filled to the edges, crispy on the outside, and maybe a little messy' homemade quesadilla. In my world, pretty much anything goes when it's inside a tortilla!
.
Last week Brad had to go away on business to Oklahoma. Since it was just the kids and I, we decided to have a quesadilla extravaganza! We had cheese quesadilla for Missy Moo (she's not very adventurous but if she has her beloved sour cream she's happy as a clam). Karate Guy had a cheese and green olive quesadilla and Cub had a Pizzadilla (he aptly named it) filled with pizza sauce, green olives and cheese.
.
Personally, I was up for something a little more adventurous. I've been hankerin' to use some goat cheese in my fridge. It still astounds me that I have this new found love of fromage de goat. I know! For years I'd tell people it tasted like burnt plastic (no, I have never eaten burnt plastic but the smell just had ode to baked Barbie all over it). Suddenly, in the past month, I adore it! Weird!
.
Back to my constantly escaping point .... I wanted to make a quesadilla featuring goat cheese. I also had some recently BBQ'd chicken breast that I wanted to incorporate in the quesadilla. After a little brainstorming I came up with this dish. It ... was ... awesome! I even emailed two of my favourite foodies to share in my joy!
.
The tanginess of the goat cheese was wonderful with the sweetness of the caramelized onions and the freshness of the basil from my indoor herb garden (it's really not as glamourous as it sounds. It's a pot in front of my slider). Along with the great avocado sour cream that I found on Sugar Cooking and we have a winning combination!
.
Chicken, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas with Avocado Sour Cream
Yield: 2 large quesadillas
.
Caramelized Onions
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp sugar
.
In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the onions soften. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
.
Stir in the sugar and continue to cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape darkened bits off the bottom of the pan (it's not gross, it's flavour!). Set aside until needed.
.
Avocado Sour Cream
Recipe from: Sugar Cooking
1 ripe avocado
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste
.
Remove avocado pulp and mash in a small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
.
Quesadilla
vegetable oil
4 large flour tortillas
1 large, fully cooked chicken breast, chopped
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 cups marble cheese, grated
1-2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (or 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped)
1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed and chopped
.
Note: There are numerous ways to cook a quesadilla. You can do it on your BBQ, in the oven or, like I did, on an electric skillet. I'd suggest doing it in an oven (brush outside of tortillas with oil to make them brown). These suckers can be hard to flip!
Heat skillet to medium heat. Brush with oil. Lay one tortilla onto the skillet. Top with half of the: chicken, caramelized onions, goat cheese, marble cheese, tomato and basil. Place another tortilla on top. Cook until bottom tortilla is browned. Brush top tortilla with some oil then carefully flip quesadilla. Mine didn't make a graceful flip but tasted wonderful all the same. Repeat with final quesadilla.
.
Let quesadillas sit for a couple of minutes then slice using a pizza cutter to cut them into wedges. Serve with avocado sour cream and salsa.

2 comments:

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

You could put caramelized onions on a piece of cardboard and I'd eat it, but this combination sounds out of this world. YUM!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I'm with you, Mags. I LOVE any kind of fried onions.
On a side note, this avocado sour cream is really tasty when used in a wrap instead of mayo or a ranch dressing. I'm currently munching on a ham and swiss wrap with a ridiculously large amount of the avocado sour cream in it. Delish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails