Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Double Berry Bran Muffins

This is a muffin that is not only good for you but tastes good too. I'm one of those people who truly enjoys the taste of a good bran muffin ...especially a fruity bran muffin. Originally I had used 1 1/4 cups of frozen blueberries but I decreased the amount here because it was almost too much berry for my tastes. As you can see in the picture above the one muffin is a little lopsided because the bottom side of that muffin was all berry!

9 year old Karate Guy told me that I HAD to put this recipe on my blog because he loved them so much. Gotta love that! I just have to make sure that he doesn't eat too many of these muffins or there may be consequences that he didn't expect!

I have mentioned in the past that I'm a fresh cranberry hoarder. I proudly admit that my deep freeze has bags and bags of fresh cranberries for use in muffins, loafs etc all year long. Many people don't realize that you can freeze these little beauties. I also love to freeze them because it makes chopping them up a breeze. Carefully, using a sharp knife, slice each cranberry in half (or quarters). If you have a Pampered Chef Chopper it's even easier to do. Get all your frustrations out on the berries!

Personally, I love to heat these muffins a bit and put some butter on them while I sip a coffee. Oh look at that! That's what I'm doing right now!

1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup frozen cranberries, chopped
1 cup frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line muffin tin and set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together wheat bran and milk. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, mix together sour cream, egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together: all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt. Gently stir into bran mixture until just blended.

Gently fold in cranberries and blueberries. Scoop into muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean (ie no batter - with that many berries you'll definitely have berry on your toothpick!).

Remove muffins from tin and cool on a rack. Store in an air-tight container or freeze for later use.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails