Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Crockpot Pulled Pork with Root Beer BBQ Sauce

I've been enjoying my fair share of root beer lately (I'm wild and crazy, I know) so when I saw that this roast was actually cooked in root beer it was like fate was telling me to make this dish. Plus the combination of root beer and oinker intrigued me.

I have searched the net high and low to figure out why on earth root beer is used as the liquid to cook this roast in. Some sites say that pops/sodas like Coke or root beer can tenderize meat. I wasn't able to confirm this information and may have to chalk it up to some guy accidentally spilling some root beer into his wife's crockpot then finding out that it produced a great dish.

The why isn't as important as the end product though, right? This was definitely a good meal and even Karate Guy who was highly suspicious of this dish really enjoyed it. He called it pork sloppy joes -- and he'd be correct. It was messy enough not to fall off the bun and the meat was really tender. I ended up cooking my roast for 9 hours then kept the meat with the BBQ sauce warmed for another 45 minutes, or until Brad came home with the buns I texted him to bring home.

1 large onion - sliced thinly, rings cut in half
2-3lb boneless pork loin roast
1 (12oz/355mL) can root beer
1 bottle (425mL) BBQ sauce (I used 'Sensations by Compliments' Original')
Large hamburger buns

Place onion pieces into the bottom of the crock pot. Put roast on top of onions. Pour root beer over the roast. Cook, on low, for minimum of 8 hours but preferrably 9-10 hours.

Remove roast from crockpot and set on a large cutting board. Using two forks shred the meat until it is in thin, bite-sized pieces.

Pour root beer liquid in crockpot through a strainer to remove all the floaties. Set juices aside.

Put shredded meat back into crockpot and pour BBQ sauce over meat and onion mixture. Mix well. Cover crock pot and keep temperature on low setting. If meat mixture isn't juicy enough add some of the liquid (root beer) -- I added 1/2 cup to my meat tonight.

Meanwhile, separate hamburger buns and lay on a large cookie sheet. Broil, on high, until golden brown. Scoop meat onto each bun and serve with a green salad or coleslaw.

Recipe adapted from : Mennonite Girls Can Cook

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails