Saturday, 14 August 2010

Smothered Oink'n'Cluck

That title got your attention, didn't it? This is a dish I used to make for Brad and I when we were first married. Back when we enjoyed making leisurely meals while sipping some wine and chatting about our days. While this isn't by any means a hard dish to make there are a few steps and fiddly chopping to be done.

Things have changed since the three mini-me's have come along but Brad and I still manage to have 'at-home date nights'. We feed the kids something easy at our regular dinner time and once the kids are in bed (or at least reading in bed) we eat alone. Romantic? Not really, but it is peaceful and no one is saying "What kind of vegetable is that?" and "How much do I have to eat before I can be excused?". You know, all the ooohs and ahhhhs the warm the cockles of my culinary heart.

Well, I surprised myself tonight. For some reason, after a long day (sometimes with 5 kids running around), I managed to get a second wind this evening. Not only did I make Brad and I a good meal but as I was prepping dinner I also made an ovenight french toast for tomorrow morning (raspberries, cream cheese and cinnamon! I'll keep you posted). No idea where that little burst of energy came from but I'll take it!

2 chicken breasts
3/4 cup hickory BBQ sauce (I prefer my BBQ sauce with some smoke in it but use what you like)
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp brown sugar
4 slices of bacon, cooked
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, pour BBQ sauce over chicken and toss to coat. Place chicken in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the centre.

Meanwhile, in a skillet melt butter and saute onion and mushrooms until onions are cooked but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until the onion/mushroom mixture caramelizes. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a small skillet, cook bacon but make sure it's not too crispy. Set aside on paper towels to drain grease.

When chicken is cooked through, cover chicken with onion mixture, followed by bacon and then cheddar. Put chicken back into the oven and broil (watching it carefully) until cheese has melted.


Enjoy!




6 comments:

Jamie said...

This sounds so good! I'm sure my kids would like this too, I am going to try it tonight!

Laurie said...

I hope you like it, Jamie. I find that bacon makes most things taste better. ;)

Jamie said...

It was great, thanks for the recipe!

Mags said...

Yeah, the title definitely got my attention. I just KNEW there's be bacon involved...LOL! I went on a bacon bender myself today.

The recipe looks great!

Laurie said...

Mags, I also go through bacon benders. After a few recipes with it I find it turns me off and I forget about it for a bit. But honestly, I could never turn my back on the bacon for long. It goes so well with so many things! It's like the little black dress of meats ;)

Laurie said...

Jamie, I'm glad you liked the recipe!! I'm working on another recipe, as I type that is using more bacon. Gotta love a bacon bender!

Related Posts with Thumbnails