Sunday, 29 August 2010

Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me!!

Fruit flies have been the bane of my existence - at least for the past few days. They have been fluttering around my Basket of Death - also known as my fruit basket that sits on my counter -- ticking me off to no end. The little buggers seem to come out of nowhere and like to stick around for as long as possible like horrible unwanted house guests. Not only are they pesky but they can also contaminate food with bacteria so it's important to get rid of them as soon as possible.

Fruit flies breed quickly going from egg to adult in 10 days. A female can lay up to 500 eggs so it's important to get rid of them as soon a possible which means getting rid of what attracts them. Fruit flies are not only attracted to fruit but also beverages, garbages and slime in drains. Yummo! They do have their favourite foods though : bananas, grapes, vinegar, wine, peaches, pineapples and tomatoes.

Here are some ways to get rid of things that tempt the fruit fly:
  1. eliminate fruit on your counters (aka Basket'o'Death). Either eat the fruit, pitch it or refrigerate it.
  2. Make sure your garbage has a secure lid.
  3. Clean your garbage can regularly in case you have some spillage.
  4. Take your compost bucket out daily and wash often.
  5. Check your drains for flies. Tape a clear plastic sandwich bag over your drain overnight. In the morning the adult flies will have been trapped in the bag. Now that you know you have a problem you can thoroughly clean around your drain. To kill the pests that are down the drain simply pour a kettle full of boiling water down your drain.

I had a niggling idea in the back of my head about an easy way to kill these little suckers. I jumped on-line and found a very easy solution that's not toxic ... to humans at least. Bwah ha ha!

If you also suffer from fruit flies try this. Put 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in a dish (some websites suggested using a bottle to trap the flies but putting it in a simple ramkin dish worked well for me). Put 2 drops of liquid dish soap into the vinegar and set it out on your counter. Leave it there for as long as needed. The fruit flies are drawn to the vinegar like ... well, bees to honey and the soap stops them from flying away.

Soon your kitchen will smell like salad dressing but your fruit fly population will drastically drop. Not a bad trade off especially for a non-toxic solution to a pesky problem.

2 comments:

Mags said...

LOL... I love that my kitchen will smell like salad dressing, but I'm with you that it's much better than dealing with those pesky insects!

Laurie said...

I have to admit, Mags. I did enjoy smelling the vinegar lol!! Haven't seen hide nor wing of the little buggers since!

Related Posts with Thumbnails