Friday, 20 August 2010

Mistress of the Game

Author: Tilly Bagshawe
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 422
Series: 2nd book in the "Master of the Game" series
Series Order:
  1. "Master of the Game" (1982)
  2. "Mistress of the Game" (2009)
Published: 2009
First Line: "Lexi Templeton's hands trembled as she read the letter."


Synopsis: Sidney Sheldon introduced readers to the highly volatile and deceptive Blackwell family and their matriarch Kate Blackwell back in 1982 in his best seller "Master of the Game". Author Tilly Bagshawe has written the sequel in Sheldon's style and tells the stories of Kate's great-grandchildren. Like their predecessors the new generation of Blackwells are well versed in deception, manipulation and scheming in order to get their way.

My Thoughts: I have to say that I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as "Master of the Game". "Master of the Game" was my first taste of the infamous Sheldon. I'm glad I read it first because, in my opinion, this book paled in comparison.

I know that my negative feelings towards this book had to do with some of the topics introduced by Bagshawe that I didn't feel comfortable reading. Namely, pedophilia, incest and the Oedipal Complex that had 'ew' written all over it. My lackluster review also had to do with a lack of believability in some of the storylines (Max and his father in Africa) and the fact that the pace of the storylines and the suspense just wasn't there.

It also seemed like the author was trying to re-create the relationship between Kate and Jamie from "Master of the Game" with Eve and Gabe in the new generation. Just didn't work. Also, Lexi just isn't as good of a bad girl as Kate was. Kate was a total she-devil ... Eve comes off as just an incestuous pest. I also would have liked to see more of Eve in this storyline but she had a minor peripheral role.

My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

4 comments:

Sharilyn said...

I agree, there are just some things I don't want to read about!

Laurie said...

Glad I'm not the only one. Often times I have to be in the right mood for a certain book. The other night, after getting some sad news, I just couldn't bring myself to start "Water for Elephants" when it seemed to deal with animal cruelty. I'll save that one for when I'm in more of an upbeat mood to offset the sadness, know what I mean?

Sharilyn said...

Yep, I'm right there with you. While I don't mind reading sad and even disturbing things on occassion, I also don't want the subject matter to wreak emotional havoc in my life.

Funny story that I'm sure you can relate to...

The boyfriend walks in one day and finds me reading a book with tears pouring down my face.

"Why are you crying?" he asks.

"Because this books is so sad!" I wail.

Being a logical kind of guy he asks, "If it makes you unhappy, why on earth are you reading it?"

"Because it's so good!" An illogical, but true answer.

Laurie said...

I totally understand your thinking. That book was really sad but written so well it was good. I get it. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails