Sunday, 2 May 2010

Used book sale or a little peace of heaven? You be the judge.

Last May I went to a local used book sale and hadn't expected much. It was in a small local town so I figured the pickin's would be slim since the books were from local donations. I was expecting a few tables of used books but that's about it.

I remember walking in and getting almost giddy with excitement. Some women get excited over shoe sales, others over purses .... me? My weakness is books, of course! There were THOUSANDS of gently used books as far as the eye could see (well, it filled a huge room but you get my meaning). The tables were organized according to genre making it easy to hightail to my favourite genres. Tables upon tables of veritable eye candy!! I had brought Missy Moo and Karate Guy with me. I'm glad they got some time to get some new books ... but honestly? They slowed me down. Oh the damage I could have done to my bank account if I had brought more money! I only brought $20 with me that day!!!

This year I knew better. The sale was yesterday and I had been eagerly awaiting it since ... last May. Ya, I know. Sad. "Farmer Geisen" and I got up early and hightailed it (sans offspring) to get there an hour before the doors opened. We thought we were so slick getting there early! Apparently we're still neophytes in the book sale world because there were about 50 other people ahead of us still who had brought folding chairs and carafes of coffee. Still, we were ahead of the other 200+ people behind us!

Well, for only $31 I got 15 chapters books for the kids as well as about 15 mainly hardcover books for yours truly. I managed to get a couple more Nancy Drew books that I loved as a kid (the yellow spined kind!) that hopefully Missy Moo will enjoy in a few years.

I also bought several books that I had heard good things about but wasn't willing to shell out full price. What are your opinions of these books?
  • "Five Quarters of the Orange" by Joanne Harris ($2)
  • "London" by Edward Rutherford ($2)
  • "The Boleyn Inheritance" by Philippa Gregory ($1)
  • "House of Orphans" by Helen Dunmore ($2)
  • "Daughter of Fortune" by Isabel Allende ($1)
  • "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire($2)
  • "The Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant ($2)
  • "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant ($2)
  • "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving ($1)
  • "The Vendetta Defense" by Lisa Scottoline ($1)
  • "Mother of Pearl" by Melinda Haynes ($1)
  • "Fall on Your Knees" by Ann-Marie MacDonald ($2)
  • "Roots" by Alex Haley ($1) (one of my favourite books that I've wanted to own for awhile!)

Look at the prices I paid for those books! Most of my books were hardcover and were $2 or less with kids books only costing about 50 cents each. You cannot go wrong with those prices! It was B-U-S-Y but I still managed to get quite a good haul and not totally cripple myself under the weight of said books.

Will I be going next year? You bet your sweet bippy I am!! I already have it marked on my calendar!

11 comments:

Betty said...

Wow. Nice list of books. I've read a few that I really enjoyed...The Red Tent and The Boleyn Inheritance are good. Used book sales are the greatest but sometimes I splurge on a new book like the crime fiction/medical terrorism book I'm reading now. It's called The Ovary Wars by Mike Hogan. The government is trying to find out what's destroying women's ovaries; it is biological, terrorism or something else... I'm really enjoying it!

Laurie said...

Hi Betty,
I thought I did pretty well at the sale with those books. I'm really looking forward to reading "The Red Tent". It sounds right up my alley. I might re-read "Roots" too since it's a fav.
I'll look into "The Ovary Wars". I haven't read much medical suspense/terrorism books before. :)

Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

Great haul! I read "Fall On Your Knees" several years ago & honestly, I didn't really like it. I had a hard time dealing with James & all the horrible things he did, which kind of wrecked the whole book for me. You surprised me by buying an Oprah Pick! ;) I have "Daughter of Fortune" sitting on my shelf. Perhaps it will be my next read. :)

Laurie said...

I know, Allison. I actually almost put the two Oprah picks back ... just b/c they had her stamp on them. Usually she and I don't have similar tastes but I'll give them a shot. I've heard of "Fall on Your Knees" (probably due to Miss O) but I still have no idea what it's about. It's in my 'to read' pile which is beside my 'have to read before the library needs them back' pile of books. :)

Aleisha said...

I agree with Allison, I tried "Fall on your Knees" twice and couldn't get into it at all. You will love, love, love The Red Tent. It was one of the best books I have ever read, really fantastic. Happy reading.

Aleisha said...

The Birth of Venus, too, it's another really good read. You will like it as well.

Laurie said...

Thanks Aleisha. I think, after I've read the books that I have out from the library, that I'll read "Red Tent" since it's gotten such rave reviews.
Has no one here read "Five Quarters of the Orange"? At the book sale two women came up to me and mentioned that they had loved the book and told me to buy it. Personally I had never heard of it (or it's author) before but now I'm intrigued!

A Cop's Girl said...

I have to agree about The Red Tent l loved the book.Read it in two days l could not put it down.Fall On Your Knees was one of those books l never quite understood why people were so hyped about it.I found it boring and a week in my life l will never get back.

A Cop's Girl said...

Just wanted to add l put a hold on Five Quarters of the Orange after reading what you had to say.Sounds interesting to me and the sort of stuff l like to read.

Laurie said...

Cop's Girl,
I'm itching to start "Five Quarters of the Orange" and "The Red Tent" now after all of this discussion. :) I'll give "Fall on your Knees" a try. I knew what I was getting into when I saw Ms O's sign on it. I hate it when a book is hyped so much ... then doesn't live up to the hype. At least I only spent $2 on it, right? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails