Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Rice Krispie Pizza


I hope everyone had a wonderful Victoria Day weekend. The weather (for the most part) was amazing and I was lucky enough to have a great weekend with extended family too.

My weekend was filled with 10 children (10 years of age to 10 months), 4 dogs, 2 jet skiis, an afternoon of swimming and loads of food. It was also hampered by a migraine (mine) and bad back pain (mine also) but overall a really good weekend.

Because my nephew "S" was coming to visit and has an egg allergy (as well as a peanut allergy like my "Cub") Aunt Laurie had to figure out what kinds of desserts I could make that would be safe for both boys and still taste great.

I made 3 desserts -- an egg free brownie, my awesome Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (made with Freenut butter to be safe) as well as a cool dessert pizza. Baking without eggs can be tough because eggs are used to hold baked goods together. My first thought was to make some Rice Krispie squares but that was too boring so I went online and searched for a cooler dessert for the kids. I found it. This recipe is really cute and the kids loved it. I, personally, found it too sweet for me but that apparently didn't bother the 10 children.

3 tbsp butter or margarine
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 cup (or so) Strawberry jam (I used Strawberry Rhubarb jam)
Whipped vanilla frosting
Red fruit roll-ups, cut into 1-1/4" circles
Green sprinkles

In a microwave-safe large bowl, heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes (my microwave only took 2 minutes total). Stir until smooth. Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir well until coated.

Using a buttered spatula, press mixture into a 12-inch greased pizza pan. Cool.

Spread strawberry jam on top for 'tomato sauce'. Carefully spread vanilla icing over jam for 'cheese'. Add fruit roll-up circles for 'pepperoni' and sprinkles for 'green onions'. Cut into slices to serve. Best if served same day.

Original recipe from http://www.ricekrispies.com/.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails