Friday, 28 May 2010

BBQ'd Sliced Potatoes


I've mentioned before that I believe that the sun rises and sets over the glorious potato (aka spud, tater, apple of the earth ...). I adore potatoes and got my addiction from my mother who is the reigning Queen of the Tater (me being a mere Duchess of Spud). I love them fried, mashed, baked, french-fried, scalloped ... you get the picture.

Last week I had my husband BBQ dinner (easy clean up and, hey ... means I don't have to do as much, right!). I used my mandoline to slice up a few potatoes, chopped some onion, added a few other ingredients, packed it in foil and voila! Side dish is done. Really easy and it tasted soooo good. The potato slices get nicely crispy from the butter. They're so good that my husband B and I fight over the crispy ones. Mmmm.
Note: the mandoline that I mentioned should not be confused with the musical instrument with a similar name (mandolin). You could try slicing the potatoes with the strings of said instrument ... but I wouldn't advise it.


4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 large onion, sliced
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp basil
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup old Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
To taste salt and pepper
.
Place potatoes, onions and butter on a large sheet of tin foil. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese. Cover potato mixture with another piece of tin foil and roll edges together to seal so that you have a pillow of foil stuffed with the potato mixture.

Place on BBQ and grill over medium heat for 45 minutes. Be careful opening the foil packet because the steam comes whooshing out at first.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails