Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Balsamic Black Bean'n'Corn Salsa



I was hunting for new recipes on-line and came across this salsa on another blog. The ingredients, especially my beloved balsamic, intrigued me. I've never made traditional homemade salsa .... and currently don't really have a desire to actually. This recipe allows me to whip up a different kind of salsa without all of the fuss with chopping tomatoes.

I've made some changes based on what I had on-hand (no fresh cilantro but did have dried) and personal taste (added some finely diced green pepper). This is a great appetizer that you can easily whip up the day before and not only does it taste really good but it's really high in fibre.

1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn, drained well
1/2 medium red onion, diced (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 tsp dried cilantro (orginal recipe used 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro)
1 (7oz) can salsa verde (aka green salsa)
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl and cover. Let salsa marinate for several hours or, preferably, overnight before serving. Drain most of the liquid from the salsa before serving. Serve with tortilla chips or crispy pita chips.

Yield: appetizer for 8-10

4 comments:

Mags said...

What a great (and different) salsa recipe. I love the addition of the balsamic vinegar too!

Laurie said...

Hey Mags,
I really enjoyed this salsa. Just beware ... it does make quite a lot. I think the original recipe said it's for 4-6 people ... for me and mine that would entail eating a lot more salsa than we're used to. It made a large pyrex bowl full. Just a heads up so you're not eating salsa for a week straight ;)

Mandi @ Southern Gnome said...

I was looking thru your blog and ran across this post. Awesome! I love balsamic and have some black beans and an ear of corn. I had some salsa yesterday for lunch but this is quite different. Can't wait to give it a try.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Hi Mandi! Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm also a lover of balsamic (one of my prized possessions after a trip to Italy 4 years ago was 21 year old balsamic!!). I even have a separate 'balsamic' category. Check out my Double Tomato Balsamic Bruschetta (http://thebakingbookworm.blogspot.com/2011/01/double-tomato-balsamic-bruschetta.html) or my Raspberry Balsamic Salad. (http://thebakingbookworm.blogspot.com/2010/05/raspberry-balsamic-salad.html) Those are some of my ultimate favs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails