Tuesday, 6 April 2010

What's Everyone Reading?!?!?

I LOVED all of the reponses I received after asking what book I should start reading in April. Wow! I loved that so many of you took the time to post some of your favourite reads for me to try. Getting new book ideas from other readers is a wonderful way to find new authors.

One of my favourite things about regularly reading the Today's Parent book forum is finding out what other posters read the previous week, what they thought about those books as well as what they're planning on reading the next week. It's a wonderful way to get new ideas of books to read. Good 'tried and true' reads instead of reading what the critics (or Oprah) think are good reads.

I have been asked by one of my followers to set up a Weekly Book Poll here on my blog. I thought it was a great idea. I think I'll try to put up a post on Sundays. We can all post what great (or not so great) books we've been reading to give others some new ideas.

If people could try to post with a name (you can make up an anonymous handle if you want) it would make things easier. I know that I look for specific posters on Today's Parent because I know that we have similar reading styles. By posting anonymously it's hard to keep track of who is who on here. Just a thought.

So shall we give it a try??? Our own little Reading Referral Club?? What say you?!?

7 comments:

A Cop's Girl said...

Well l am reading a Maisie Dobbs mystery by Jacqueline Winspear.It's a historical mystery set after World War One.She has a series of them and they just keep getting better with each book.

I wanted to tell you because of what you asked about names l set up a blog of my own.And become one of your followers thought it might be a good idea.

Beth said...

I just finished a great suspense book by Canadian author Linwood Barclay called "Never Look Away". And the book that I read before that one was fantastic too. It was a combo of ghost story/romance/mystery titled "Arcadia Falls". The author of that book is Carol Goodman.

Laurie said...

Hey Beth & Cop's Girl,
Those books sound great. Beth, I've read one of Linwood Barclay's books ("No Time for Goodbye") and liked it. I didn't realize he was Canadian. Fantastic Fiction has him as American.
Cop's Girl, I have never heard of the Maisie Dobbs mystery series. I'll check it out when I go to the library tomorrow. :) Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog! It does make it easier to keep up to date on my new posts by just checking your Dashboard on Blogger. :) Thanks for your responses ladies!

Aleisha said...

I'm sorry this isn't in relation to leaving a book name, although I am currently reading a Steig Larrson book, I was just wondering if you were close to being finished Cane River, I am DYING to know if you liked it or not!

Laurie said...

Hi Aleisha,
I have about 40 pages left of Cane River (I plan to finish it up tonight). It was a good read! I liked the fact that it was based on Tademy's own family tree and that it focused on the strong, confident women in her family who did what they had to do in order for their family to survive.

It wasn't as raw or as intense as "Roots" but it was still a riveting read. I loved how it showed the generations of one family and how they lived through slavery as well as the post-slavery era. Really interesting read.

I actually picked up "Red River" by Tademy yesterday while I was at Chapters with FarmerGiesen. I'm looking forward to reading it too. :)

Aleisha said...

Gotta say, not as good as Cane River, her first one is about her mother's side, I believe, I can't remember for sure and Red River is her father's side. It is more violent and centres on one particular incident in a small town a bit after 1865, when slaves have been emancipated for like 15-20 years. It's not a bad book, but her first one is so well done and the characters were very interesting, it would be hard to live up to her first.

Laurie said...

Hmmm ... I only spent $5 on it (it's hardcover too!) so I think I'll read it at some point in the future. I have an ever growing pile of books that I've bought and have yet to read. I'll add it to the pile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails