Sunday, 25 April 2010

Cranberry Orange Muffins

This is a great moist muffin with delicious bits of tart cranberries throughout. I'm a big fan of the cranberry and when it's paired with orange zest it's pure heaven!

I found this recipe on another baking blog and the only changes I made was to add more orange zest. Originally the recipe called for only 1 tsp but I love a stronger orange flavour so I zested the whole orange. The original blogger said these muffins freeze well. I'll have to take her word for it until I can bake them again because my family ate them all in 1 day.

You could also try substituting frozen raspberries for the cranberries if you're not a cran fan like me.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chopped, fresh cranberries (see Tip below)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
zest of one small orange
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400F.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture.

In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly mix until just combined. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups, either greased or lined with papers.

Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

These muffins freeze well. I freeze them in three's so I can easily grab a bag out of the freezer the night before for my kids' snacks.

Tip: I always keep fresh cranberries in my freezer. Chopping frozen cranberries is very simple so make sure they don't thaw! I just use a large chef's knife or my Pampered Chef Chopper.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Laurie, these muffins sound and look delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, but I liked what I found here and will be back often to see what you've been Cooking. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Laurie said...

Hi Mary,
I'm glad you found my blog. :) These are really good muffins but if you're more in the mood for a loaf check out my Cranberry Orange Bread. It's so moist it's actually hard to cut sometimes. I love cranberries and orange together! I hope you enjoy the other recipes I've posted over the last few months as well.

Laurie

Erin said...

I want to make some muffins for my one year old, but cannot decide which of your recipes to try.... any suggestions?

Erin said...

I want to make some muffins for my 1 yr old, but cannot decide which of your recipes to try... any suggestions?

Laurie said...

Hi Erin
Hmmm. Have you tried my "Awesome Banana Muffins"? They're a good starter muffin for kids. Or what about the "French Breakfast Muffins" or (my fav) "Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites" (I made them 2 days ago). Or "The Best Blueberry Muffins You'll EVER Eat" are really good too. My "Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins" would be good too. So many options. If I had to pick just one? Ummmm, I'd start with the banana muffins then the Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites. I hope your toddler loves them! They can be the biggest critics sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! I just made my first batch and half of them are already gone.
I modified the recipe only slightly due to an egg allergy---I replaced the egg with 1 tsp of sour cream and they turned out perfectly. Very moist.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Anon -- I'm glad you liked these muffins! I'm always on the look out for moist, light muffins. Nothing worse than hard, dense muffins in my opinion.

It's also good to know they're adaptable for egg allergies. My 2 year old nephew has an egg (and peanut) allergy so I'll let my sister know that this recipe is workable. I do know that she has successfully used sour cream for eggs in some recipes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails