Thursday, 15 April 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Jam Squares


I was in baking mood this afternoon and wanted to make a treat for my kids for an after school snack. I had visions of my kids walking in the door and smelling the glory that is a freshly baked treat. So I hopped on the internet and went in search of a nice, chewy oatmeal square. Well, slap an apron on me and call me June (Cleaver, that is) I found one!

I adapted the recipe (found originally on allrecipes.com) a bit to suit my family's tastes. I didn't want a super sweet square but I still wanted it to have that nice brown sugar/oats flavour (kind of like a toned down apple crisp topping). This recipe was perfect.
I had taken them out of the oven right before I headed out to pick up my kids from school. With the 26C heat here today they were still nice and warm when the kids and I tried them out. They're very similar to a cereal bar and it's an easy recipe to customize to your families tastes by just changing the jam. I could also see serving them as a casual dessert topped with some vanilla ice cream.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2-3/4 cup fruit preserves or jam, any flavour (I used President's Choice Strawberry Rhubarb jam)

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth.

In another bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to butter mixture, mixing well. Add in the walnuts, if using.

Set aside 1/3 of the mixture (to use for the topping). Press the remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread jam over the base and crumble the reserved oat mixture over the top.

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool before cutting into squares.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious! The kids loved them and I loved how easy they were to make! Thanks again for posting an egg free treat!

Laurie said...

I'm glad you liked them! They went over really well here too.

I'm going to try them with various jams/preserves. I think blueberry will be first on the list.

Related Posts with Thumbnails