Monday, 19 April 2010

Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with a Secret

My kids are not fans of cauliflower. I've tried pouring homemade cheese sauce over it ... they won't touch it (and I'm talking GREAT homemade cheese sauce!). I've tried giving it to them in one of my favourite side dish casseroles (Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole - recipe is on this blog) ... they still won't touch it.

So I had to take matters into my own sneaky hands. Last year I made this dish and I quite liked it. It got cauliflower into my unsuspecting kids so it was all good. I think the garlic hid the mild flavour from the cauliflower.

Something different happened tonight when I made this dish. I asked my 6 year old "Missy Moo" if she liked the cheesy mashed potatoes and she said "yes but I think there's mushed up broccoli trunks in it too". Close, m'dear but not exactly. Apparently her taste buds are more in tuned than I thought. Gordon Ramsay, look out!

My kids apparently aren't big on cheesy potatoes in general so this recipe didn't receive any thumbs up from the little people at my table. Perhaps you can win yours over with this dish!?!

2lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces.
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups cauliflower florets (I used about 1/4 of a large cauliflower)
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh chives or green onion, chopped
to taste salt and pepper

In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes and garlic for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until both potatoes and cauliflower are soft. Drain well.

Add milk and butter to potatoes. Using an electric mixer (or a hand-held potato masher), mash potato mixture. Add cheddar cheese, chives, salt and pepper.

Yield: 4-6 servings

4 comments:

Mommydoodle said...

I made these tonight and the boys gobbled them up. Next time, I'm planning to reduce the amount of potatoes and increase the cauliflower. I guess we'll see what happens.

Laurie said...

Mommydoodle - Glad to hear your boys loved it!! You should try my Cheddar Cauliflower Soup. I made it last night and Missy Moo inhaled it (she actually asked for it). Delish. I'll post the recipe. I'm surprised that it wasn't on the blog already actually!

Mommydoodle said...

Sounds great Laurie. Any chance it can go in the crock pot???

Laurie said...

The soup? I don't think I'd try it b/c I'd be afraid that the milk would curdle being heated that long. Not sure. If you do try it let me know how it goes. It honestly doesn't take long to make especially if you have all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go. I'm planning on spending some of tomorrow morning finding some crockpot recipes for you. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails