Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Beef Pie


Some of my fondest childhood memories are spending a LOT of time with my mom's sister's family. My sisters and I along with Cousin D and K would tear around for the weekend and have a great time.
When we were at my Aunt and Uncle's place one of my Aunt N's signature dishes was her meat pie which has become one of my comfort foods.
I do enjoy eating homemade pastry (who doesn't?) -- while my pastry probably won't win awards for prettiness, I am getting better at making it look as great as it tastes (tootin' my own horn). The frozen store-bought kind is great for quick meals but if you've got the time, make it from scratch. The taste and flakiness are MUCH better.
For my pastry I usually use the recipe found on the side of the container of Crisco. Unfortunately sometime recently Crisco decided to change their recipe. Earlier today I posted the original 'no fail' pie crust recipe (which uses egg and vinegar for some zip) so that I wouldn't misplace the recipe again. The new recipe just wasn't as good as the 'tried and true' old one.

Here's my version of meat pie. I love mine to have a bit of a gravy so that the meat isn't too dry and the pastry has to be flaky!! You can add diced bits of onion, carrot or frozen peas if you'd like. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and a salad. Leftovers are great the next day too!

1 - double pie crust (see "No Fail Pie Crust" recipe here on my blog)
1 to 1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped (optional)
1/4 cup flour
1 (10oz) can beef broth
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and carrot (if using) until beef is no longer pink. Drain off fat. Add flour and mix well. Cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth, Worchestershire sauce, dry mustard and pepper. Cook until mixture starts to bubble and thicken slightly. Add peas to meat mixture, if using. Pour into bottom crust. Top with upper crust. Using a fork, press upper and lower edges of pie crusts together. Poke top of pie several times to let steam escape.

Bake for 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 350F and bake for another 25 minutes. If crust becomes brown too quickly, lightly cover crust with tin foil.

Tip for rolling out pastry for a pie:

I love using my Pampered Chef rolling pin to roll out pastry. For the bottom crust, I use the smaller roller to roll the pastry right into the sides of the pan. For the upper crust I put the remaining dough in between two sheets of plastic wrap the roll it with the larger rolling end into a circle large enough to fit my pie. I remove the upper sheet of plastic wrap the gently place the upper crust on top. Remove the bottom plastic wrap, seal with a fork along the edges, polk some holes in the top and voila! Done! :) It took me years to figure this out ... then my 88 year old Grandma told me "Of course that's how I've always done it!". Apparently I should have asked my Grandma for help years ago!!

4 comments:

Alissa aka dnaplusc said...

I bookmarked this when you first posted this on TP and am finally getting around to making it. I had a small roast in the freezer so I'm cooking it in the crockpot so I can use it instead. Let you know how it goes!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Sounds great Alissa. I can't wait to hear how it turns out! Leftover roast would be amazing in this pie.

Steph said...

I originally bookmarked this recipe off Pinterest a few months ago, and have been meaning to tell you that it is currently in the dinner rotation regularly - it has become a family favorite! My very picky preschoolers even love it! I love how easy the pie is to throw together (I do cheat and use refrigerated pie crusts for convenience, ha!) on a busy weeknight and how it allows me to hide vegetables from the kiddos. ;)

Thank you so much for this recipe, it is so very versatile and DELICIOUS!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Steph, you have totally made my day! I can't tell you how rewarding it is to hear that people are using (and liking) my recipes (and book reviews).

I actually made this pie the other day!! As for store-bought crust, I do it too sometimes. On a hectic day it makes things a little easier. :)

By the way, I didn't realize this recipe was on Pinterest. I don't think I pinned it. Yay! Glad to hear it's floating around out there. :)

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails