Saturday, 10 April 2010

Apple, Cranberry and Pear Crisp

This is a variation of one of our family's favourite desserts ... apple crisp. Mmmm, perfect with vanilla ice cream. It's a nice, easy dessert to whip up on nights when you don't have a lot of time but still want to make a good impression.

I have easily doubled this recipe for a bigger crowd. To save time, I make the topping (minus the butter) ahead of time and set it aside. I peel and chop the apples and pears just before my main dish is finished. I finish getting this crisp together and throw it in the oven as my main dish is coming out. The crisp is at a nice warm temperature when we're ready for dessert to be served!

2 large apples (I like using MacIntosh)
2 pears (Comice pears work well)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries, chopped (see Note below)
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 375F. Peel apples and pears. Cut them into 1/2-inch cubes. Combine apples and pears with cranberries, 1 tbsp flour, honey and lemon juice. Mix well. Place mixture in a greased 8-inch baking dish.

Blend together until crumbly: 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, oats, walnuts (if using) and butter. Do not over mix. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is brown and crisp.

Note: the original recipe called for dried cranberries but I prefer fresh. I usually stock up on fresh cranberries in the fall and store them in the freezer for use all year round. Chopping them up while they're still frozen is really easy. Use either a sharp knife or for even easier chopping use a Pampered Chef Food Chopper.

2 comments:

Mags said...

I just made apple crisp for my son's birthday last weekend. He's one of those that doesn't care for cake. I love the addition of cranberries and pears in this recipe and definitely going to try this!

Laurie said...

I adore cranberries so I love finding new recipes that use them. Traditional apple crisp is one of my comfort foods. I also have a version that uses blueberries and maple syrup. If you're interested Mags, let me know and I'll post it too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails