Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins

I've been on the look out for a healthier muffin recipe that A) doesn't compromise on taste, B) is nice and moist and C) isn't dense enough to become a door stop. Until recently this quest has proved to be quite difficult. But Eureka! I have found it (I realize that those 2 comments are redundant).

Not only does this muffin use whole wheat flour and quick oats instead of all-purpose flour but it has a whole large sweet potato in it too! Talk about hiding healthy stuff so kids will eat it! Not a lot of fat either. Win, win, win!

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins

1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed (approx 1 to 1 1/4 cups)* See Note #1 below
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick oats (not instant)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup buttermilk (see Note #2 below)
3/4 cup raisins or craisins (optional)

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 16 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners; set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together: flour, oats, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, honey, buttermilk and mashed sweet potato. Add dry mixture to sweet potato mixture; mix just until all ingredients are moistened. Add raisins, if using. If you overmix or beat your batter too much you'll get dense muffins (aka door stops!). Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans.

Blend together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle topping over unbaked muffins.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre of one the centre muffins comes out clean. Tops should also spring back when lightly pressed.

Note #1: Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave for approximately 5 minutes on high - turning after 2 minutes. Ensure that they are pricked repeatedly with a fork before cooking. Sweet potatoes will be done when a fork can easily be pushed into the centre. OR, bake sweet potatoes with your dinner the night before and keep the sweet potatoes in your fridge until you're ready to mash them for your muffins. That way you save energy and you're ensuring that you'll bake these muffins the following day!

Note #2: To make your own buttermilk - add approximately 1 tsp of white vinegar to milk. Let sit for 5 minutes or until it looks curdled. Voila. Buttermilk substitute!

4 comments:

cookwithnikki said...

I'm so glad I did come to check out this blog (I'm on discuss cooking).
This sweet potato muffin sounds GREAT, I love sweet potatoes.. :)
For the buttermilk substitute, I usually use lemon juice as the additive for the milk (got that suggestion from the Canadian Living cookbook), but aside from this I will definitely be trying this recipe!!!!!!!!

Laurie said...

Cookwithnikki,
I'm glad you checked out my blog! Those muffins were really good. My kids asked for them in their lunches today so they must tell you something ... and they're none the wiser about the sweet potatoes in them either ;)

Like you I adore sweet potatoes. I'm on the look out for some new sweet potato recipes. I'll post any good ones I find. :)

I had heard that you can use lemon juice to sour milk ... I just find it easier to whip out the vinegar instead of squeezin' a lemon ;)

If you want to keep up on my new recipes you can become a follower (top right of my blog) and it'll let you know when I post new stuff.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hey Pheobes. I made these muffins last night and they are awesome!! hubby is on a healthy kick....(I hope it doesn't last too long :). FYI The oats are missing from your method. Thanks for this one!!!

Laurie said...

Thanks Kym. This is the tastiest healthy muffin I've found yet. You should also try the Bran Muffin recipe I posted. Those are really good!!
P.S. I fixed the 'oats' thing. Thanks for letting me know. Sometimes I just get too eager to post a new recipe and need to slow down to proof it first!

Related Posts with Thumbnails