Thursday, 25 February 2010

Stephanie Plum to be made into a movie

I've been waiting for Janet Evanovich's very popular book series to be scooped up by Hollywood and made into a movie. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to read this series (starting with "One for the Money") it's a hilarious group of 15 books (so far) that follows the antics of neophyte bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum and her crazy family and friends as she tries to apprehend fugitives.

Now, I'm not the only person who has tried to envision who could possibly play this very popular main character. On many a book site people love to chat about what hollywood actors/actresses should play the lead roles.

For me, I've always pictured Sandra Bullock in the role of quirky, always-into-trouble Stephanie Plum. If Amanda Bynes was older I could picture her too. Someone accident prone and has good physical comedy skills.

Unfortunately, Hollywood execs do not agree with me. It seems that the 'powers that be' in Hollywood have signed on Katherine Heigl (from Grey's Anatomy fame) to play the lead role. I personally like Katherine Heigl and think she's got good comedic timing ... but she isn't right for this part. Plum needs to be quirky, tough and a little out there and, to me, that's just not Heigl.



<<<---- Not my first choice of who'd play Stephanie Plum

For some of the other roles I have opinions on who should play the roles.

Grandma Mazur -- I had always envisioned the late Estelle Geddy to play Grandma. Now, I can see that little old lady from "The Wedding Singer" or even Betty White. Someone delicate and very 'grandma-like' ... but who can pack a large gun in her purse and get into her own trouble.

Lula --- ah, the beloved Lula, the ex-ho and Plum's sidekick. I can see Mo'nique perfectly for this role.

Cousin Vinnie -- Stephanie's cousin (who has been known to have a hankerin' for barnyard animals) should, in my humble opinion, be played by Steve Buscemi. This role has to ooze 'icky' and has to have an undertone of 'sliminess'.

As for Stephanie's love interests Morelli and the delicious Ranger?!? I honestly think that the execs will have to get some undiscovered talents to fill these roles. I cannot think of many actors out there who can fit these characters.

I truly hope that Evanovich has a HUGE say in the movie production so they can stay true to her sense of humour and her vision for her books. Let's all hope they don't destroy all that is funny with these books (which, as we all know, has happened to many a good book in the past) by changing too much to make it more "Hollywood" worthy. These books are some of the very few that have been able to make me literally laugh out loud. (I highly recommend them for a light read.)

So for those of you who have read this hilarious series ... who can you see in the roles when it's made into a movie?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katherine Heigl as Stephanie?Like you l am shaking in my head in womder about that casting...As for Ranger who seems to be more loved than Joe that's going to a hard casting call.They mess that up and the Plum fans are going to have a riot.Can you tell l really like the books?

Laurie said...

I just double checked that link I posted and it seems that Ms Heigl is the executive producer ... which may be why she cast herself. Hopefully she'll wow us?!? I'm a big fan of the series (except for #14 which I didn't like). They're such easy reads and I love the humour. For me, my favourite characters are Lula and Grandma Mazur. They crack me up.

hmmmmm said...

Stephanie: Senta Moses, Jessica Alba, Zooey Deschanel, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Love Hewitt,
Cloris Leachman for Grandma
Boyfriend: Matt Damon, Josh Duhamel, Mathew McConaughey, James Marsden, Ryan Kelley, Iam Somerhalder, Bradley Cooper
Ranger: Kenan Reeves, Pierce Brosnan, Gerard Butler, Robert Pattison, Ryan Reynolds, Gilles (?), Taylor Lautner
Sleezy Cousin: Charlie Sheen (I love Charie!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails