Saturday, 6 February 2010

SUPER Taco Dip


Ahhh, it's that time of year again. SUPER BOWL!!! For many people the Super Bowl means sitting back with a bunch of friends and watching the biggest football game of the year.

To me? Well, honestly ... I'm in it for the food (and the funny commercials). I admit it. I know nothing about the glorious game of football. Something about downs, touch downs and pig skin. I also love this time of year because I get to try out new appetizer recipes on people!

This dip is one of my hubby's favourites. Just the right amount of spice. I also like the fact that you can change the spiciness depending on the salsa and taco seasoning you choose. I found a recipe from one of my Pampered Chef cookbooks and tweaked it to suit our family's tastes.

1 (398mL) can refried beans
1 (250g) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg (35g) taco seasoning mix (you choose how hot you'd like it - I choose mild)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 small tomato, cored and diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
3-4 rings of jalapeno peppers, diced (optional)
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced (optional)

*** This recipe can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge until you're ready for it. I encourage making it ahead of time because it gives the dip time to blend the flavours together.

Preheat oven to 375F. Spread refried beans over the bottom of a small baking dish. Combine cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning in a small bowl. Add garlic. Mix well.
Spread cream cheese mixture over beans. Spread salsa over cream cheese layer. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with tomato, green pepper, green onions, olives, jalapeno peppers and cilantro (if using). Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield: 10 servings (or less if you're Super hungry!)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails