Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Chocolate Banana Bread

This is one of my 'go-to' recipes that I know my kids will love. "Cub's" best friend actually asked for this recipe when I gave it to them as a snack during a playdate so that his mom could make it for him at home (needless to say I gave him the recipe and an extra slice for such a sweet compliment!).

This bread makes 2 loaves and is awesome for freezing so you can eat one and save one for later.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened (see Tip)
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
6 bananas, ripe and mashed
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sour cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease TWO 9"x5" loaf pans.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cocoa; mix well. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in sour cream and chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each loaf comes out clean.

Tip: You can cut the amount of margarine/butter in half. Use 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce as well as 1/2 cup of butter/margarine. You still need the fat in baked goods but you can usually cut the fat in half by using applesauce while still maintaining moistness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's in the oven as we speak. Batter tasted good! I had to make amendments 'cause I only had 3 bananas but I think it worked!

Laurie said...

In my kitchen, once bananas start getting too dark/old I pop them in the freezer. If I had the time I'd mash them up beforehand and put 3 banana servins in a freezer bag ... but I never seem to have the patience to do this. :) Before we moved last year I literally had over 30 bananas in my fridge freezer (eeks!) ... I have seens down scaled my banana freezing lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails