Sunday, 30 August 2009

Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites

These are wonderful mini-muffins that all 3 of my kids gobble down. They remind me of the sour cream donuts at Tim Horton's. Great for packing into kids' lunches.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and diced

TOPPING:
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted


In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla extract. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in oranges. Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip tops of warm muffins in melted butter, then in cinnamon-sugar.

Originally from: Allrecipes.com

5 comments:

jenn said...

Yeah I'm so making these!!!

Nix said...

Sounds yummy. I wonder if this recipe would work for regular sized muffins too???

Laurie said...

Nix, I haven't tried that yet but I plan to. I hate making mini muffins. They look cute but there's too much prep work (greasing each cup) for my liking. :) I plan to make small regular muffins for the kids' lunches. I'm also going to try freezing these muffins so I can have a few choices of muffins in my freezer to whip out when in need of some school lunch ideas. :)

Erin said...

I made these after your suggestion and they are great. I omitted the topping though and I still loved them. Cannot wait for H to have one for breakfast - thanks for the recipe!

Laurie said...

Erin, while the topping is really good, dipping said muffins in melted butter then cinnamon sugar may not be the healthiest option. I love the texture of this muffin so I'm going to play around with it a bit and see what else I can add instead of mandarin oranges. I hope H liked them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails