Monday, 10 August 2009

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Squares



These are a favourite of my eldest son's and are a staple in our home at Christmas. With their shortbread crust, their chewy caramel layer and rich chocolate topping it's no surprise that there's never any leftovers!!

If you're a nut lover, you can also try adding chopped pecans to the caramel layer for a Turtle-like treat!


2/3 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1 1/4 cups milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3 cup butter, white sugar and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9" square baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

Note: if you want to make it easier to cut your squares, line the pan with parchment paper. Once your squares are totally done and cooled you can easily lift the whole batch out with the parchment and cut them on a large cutting board.

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 5 minutes; stirring constantly so the mixture doesn't burn. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Co0l until it begins to firm.

Place chocolate chips in a double-boiler and heat until chips are melted and chocolate is smooth. Pour chocolate over caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 1" squares before chocolate layer hardens (otherwise it will crack).

Linked to:
Photobucket

5 comments:

Larissa said...

I am salivating! Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the tip on cutting when cool, not cold.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

Larissa, these are SOOOO good!! It took a couple of times for me to finally learn when to cut these squares. The first few times the chocolate would crack and go all over the place. We'd eat the square still (we're not crazy!) but they weren't appropriate to serve to company.

There's another recipe out there that uses Lyle's syrup but I don't like having to find a specific product each time I want to make it. This one uses ingredients that you usually have in the house.

Pamela said...

These look really good. I'm a bookworm,too, but not passionate about baking. :-) I do it but it's not a love.

Reading, however, LOVE. I love the Mark Twain quote on the sidebar. I just never quite understand why you wouldn't want to read if you could. ;-) I've not read The Good Daughters yet. I'm going to check out some of your reviews.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Welcome, Pamela! I'm glad you found my blog. I'm a total reading addict (I'm on my 95th book of 2010) but I do enjoy to cook and bake (I find it quite cathartic after a stressful day). I hope you find lots of new reads from my book reviews. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails